Below are some frequently asked questions, feel free to mail your question if you do not find answers here

1. Does the education system in The Netherlands allow my child to change
a. from an international school to a Dutch school or
from a Dutch school to an international school?
2. What level of education is international education compared with the American high school?
3. What level of education is international education compared with British secondary education?
4. Is IB recognised in Dutch Universities?
5. My child has learning problems/ is a child with special needs, are there any international schools that offer extra facilities?
6. I would like to teach at an international school, how do I get a job??
7. I have a degree that allows me to teach children with special needs, where could I apply for work in The Netherlands?
8. Does SIO have information about international education outside The Netherlands?
9. We are looking for ways to integrate our children into Dutch society, please help!
10. Where can I/ my family do a crash course Dutch?








answer 1.
a. Changing from an English to a Dutch school does not have to be a problem, especially when you choose an IGO-school, i.e. a Dutch school with an international department. In general this option is only interesting for Dutch people returning to The Netherlands, who expect their children to continue and finish the remainder of their school carreer (primary- and secondary education) in The Netherlands.

Furthermore, the IGO-schools are a good option for foreigners who will be working/living in The Netherlands for a long time and want their children to integrate into Dutch society.

It is important to realise that the Middle Years Programme (MYP) and General Certificate for Secondary Education (GCSE) can be compared to MAVO in The Netherlands. This Dutch level does not qualify for higher education. Your child’s fluency in Dutch and his or her age also play a significant role!
back to the questions

b. A switch from Dutch to English/international Education is not a very likely situation for foreigners. For Dutch people this kind of switch is only allowed – in agreement with admission rules of the national government – when they expect to be leaving for another country relatively soon.
In general one can say that if one will only be staying in The Netherlands for a few years, it is better to choose (usually English) international education. Access to continuing education will be possible in the rest of the world without too many extra handicaps.
back to the questions

answer 2:
This is a question to be answered by either the American school or the international school of your choice.

The compatibility is not 100% and especially the effect on entrance possibilities to European institutes of higher education have to be considered carefully.
back to the questions

answer 3:
The British school has a list that compares the level of a number of national school systems and the education system of Great Britain thus enabling parents to get an impression of the differences.
back to the questions

answer 4:
yes, also see www.ib-groep.nl
back to the questions

answer 5:
Many international schools employ remedial teachers and have other facilities for children that need extra attention, dislectic children for instance. Do not hesitate to draw the attention to your child with learning problems.
With-holding information about problems (often for very understandable reasons) can have serious consequences, if it so happens that the chosen school does not have adequate help available.

Many schools have contacts with psychologists who are capable of testing the children in English as well. If the problems are more severe, a regular (international) school cannot always provide the appropriate support. In that case the Lighthouse project might offer a solution.
Lighthouse is established in The Hague, which forces parents to move to or live in the neighbourhood of these facilities.
back to the questions

answer 6:
Teachers who are looking for a job in The Netherlands can check the vacancies link or turn to the international schools directly (click “list of schools” for addresses and contact names). Also check www.ecis.org
For information on an evaluation of your degree, please, visit www.nuffic.nl!.
Educaide renders intermediary services between fully qualified, native-English speaking (subject)teachers on the one hand, and International/Bilingual Schools in The Netherlands on the other. Educaide also assists teachers in obtaining the accreditation of the foreign teaching credentials. For more information you can contact Educaide at info-educaide@xs4all.nl or tel: 00 31 (0)65 598 8998.
back to the questions

answer 7:
Teachers who are qualified to give special education can turn to the international school of their choice- e.g. through an open application – but the Lighthouse Project is of course the most obvious option.
back to the questions

answer 8:
Sorry, no.
back to the questions

answer 9:
Pay attention to the co-operation programmes between the international school of your choice and the Dutch department of that school or – in case of a private international school – with Dutch schools in the same neighbourhood.

Furthermore, The Netherlands has many sports- en cultural clubs and societies for all age groups. Enrole your child, depending on his or her interests, with a sports or cultural organisation (music school, dance school, theatre group), scouting (=padvinderij). Often courses start in september.

Try to learn the Dutch language as quickly as possible!
back to the questions

answer 10:
You can ask the local council of the (nearest) town/city where you (plan to) live for the addresses of institutes for adult education.

You can also ask the international school, that your child will be attending, whether they offer any courses for parents, as some schools have such facilities.
Last, but not least, you can try to find language schools through the internet, useful Dutch words would then be: talenschool(=languageschool); cursus Nederlands(=Dutch course); voor beginners(=for beginners)
back to the questions